- PhD studentship supervised by Prof. Richard P. Evershed;
- Investigating the origin and distribution of animal fats preserved in food residues from LBK pottery vessels via fatty biomarkers and compound-specific stable isotopes;
- Developing direct 14C dating methodfor lipids preserved in pottery vessels by AMS (Accelerator Mass Spectrometry).
MSc Chemistry (2014)
- Engineer’s diploma in chemistry (diplôme d’ingénieur), with a special emphasis on “optimisation and reliability of materials”, Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Lille (France);
- Master’s degree in chemistry (Chemistry Energy Environment) with special emphasis on element trace analysis and interaction mineral matter-environment, Lille I university (Lille, France).
Final-year placement (2014, 6 months) – Laboratoire Arc’Antique (Nantes, France) under the supervision of Dr. Elodie Guilminot and Charlène Pelé.
Title: FTIR and FT-Raman analysis of organic compounds used in restoration of archaeological objects.
Placement (2013, 2 months) – Rathgen Forschungslabor Staatlishe Museen zu Berlin (Berlin, Germany), under the supervision of Dr. Elena Gomez-Sanchez.
Title: GC-MS analysis of binding media and other organic compounds in samples from cultural heritage objects. FTIR analysis of naturally and artificially aged polymers used as glues, fillers and varnishes in restoration.
Placement (2012, 2 months) – Bundesanstalt für Materialforschungs und Prüfung (Berlin, Germany), under the supervision of Dr. Norbert Jakubowski.
Title: Effetcs of humic substances onto the stability, the degradation and the analysis of butyltin compounds (ICP-MS analysis).
Casanova, E., Knowles, T. D. J., Williams, C., Crump, M. P. and Evershed, R. P., 2017. Use of a 700 MHz NMR microcryoprobe for the identification and quantification of exogenous carbon in compounds purified by preparative capillary gas chromatography for radiocarbon determinations. Analytical Chemistry 89(13): 7090-7098.
Casanova, E., Pelé-Meziani, C., Guilminot, É., Mevellec, J. Y., Riquier-Bouclet, C., Vinçotte, A., Lemoine, G., 2016, The use of vibrational spectroscopy techniques as a tool for the discrimination and identification of the natural and synthetic organic compounds used in conservation. Analytical Methods, 8(48), 8514-8527.
Roffet-Salque, M., Dunne, J., Altoft, D., Casanova, E., Cramp, L.J.E., Smyth, J., Whelton, H., Evershed, R.P., in press, From the inside out: upscaling organic residue analyses of archaeological ceramics, Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports.